This post is about difference in job opportunities for women who have 0-4 years of experience and women who have 7+ years of experience, who want to restart career as a freelancer or as regular 9-5 job. We will be discussing in detail about different streams, job portals and possible courses which can benefit you.
Women often leave job after 3-8 years of experience due to family responsibilities or other personal reasons. For women who have experience more than 8 years, they have already reached a middle manager positions and can get job based on those roles such as project manager, technical architect depending on their field. As they have earlier experience, they know their area of expertise and with some up-skill and re-skill they can get back to job market with relative ease.
You may be thinking to contradict, but if you think from perspective of a women of 0-3 experience you will realize that each of you have different challenges and opportunities. Women who have less experience can mold themselves in new technologies with relative ease, although they may have to start as a fresher again. With certification courses in latest technologies, they can start job or can even get fellowship in Top B schools if they fulfill age criteria.
Lets discuss the latest trends available for women which are common for all career graphs:
- Entrepreneurship: Various women oriented entrepreneurship platforms are available for to given women push in business and self sustaining.
- Under the purview of the Ministry of Women and Child Development, the government launched Mahila-E-Haat in 2016. It is a bilingual online marketing platform that leverages technology to help aspiring women entrepreneurs showcase their products and services.
- WEE Foundation, an initiative by IIT Delhi is inviting entrepreneurial ideas for its new batch of 6 months Fellowship. Last date to apply is 18th December, 2019. You can be in ideation stage or already revenue generating startup, this program is game changer for your business if accepted.
2. Regular/Offline Post Graduation form Colleges : Post Graduation in Business and Analytics are latest trends today. People tend to go for further studies to become up-to date with job-ready skills and increase chances of starting a job at par with their experience. JobsForHer, women returning to job based startup in Bangalore, has special tie ups with many universities which are providing courses and degrees custom suited to women who want to start second innings.
This option can be chosen by women who have 0-15 years of experience if they have not already done their Post grad earlier. For example, I have already done PGDM during by first career graph and have 5+ Years of experience, so PGDM courses seem like repetition of 3 semesters at least and hence wastage of my time. I would like to do certification courses or online technical degrees.
3. Online Certifications, Degrees- Tech Oriented: With popularity of online education platforms like Udemy, Simplilearn, Upgrad and Coursera, Online certifications have gained standardization and success. Many international and top Indian Universities have partnered with these platforms to provide courses. Some of them like simplilearn have paid courses with 6 months job assistance facility also.
Swayam, an initiative of Governemnt of India, has online courses from Class 9 till Post graduation level in various fields and have partnered with top institutions to adhere to education quality. IIM Bangalore, IITs , IGNOU, AICTE are all course providers. And plus point is that taking world- class courses from this portal is completely free. For example, if want to take Data science course from IIT Madras, just enroll in that course. However, if you want certification, then you have to pay Rs. 1000, and you get NPTEL certified on passing examination.
Data Science, Python Programming, Data Analyst, Digital Marketing, Finance analytics, Machine learning, IOT, Blockchain are some of the fields where you can up-skill yourself, irrespective of your domain. For, example, you are in Marketing, you can upskill yourself as Marketing Analyst, Digital Marketer or Growth Hacker with data science and analysis certifications.
4. Gigs from Home: With the rise of Gig economy in India and worldwide, various freelancing websites are available where you can apply for regular/work from home jobs. We can classify in two level of job categories:
- Technical/Non Technical people having 3+ years of experience: There are various platforms which you may already be familiar with for freelancing like freelancer.in, upwork, fiverr. However, there are some startups entering into this space who have ensured people get tested and get best suitable projects in qualification, skills and well as remuneration. FlexingIt, Flexipile, Angeljobs are some of them. Worksera, JobsForHer are women oriented websites which provide freelancing or regular job opportunities for women in all domain.
- For Freshers who are looking for guidance in Remote jobs world: There are numerous virtual assisstance jobs available on job portals like Naukri,com, MonsterIndia, Upwork where people can apply. However, organisation has happened in this domain also. Various startups have emerged in India, who train people and then assign them on jobs. Hence, if you are not a tech person, even then you can become virtual assistant. Wishup, Delhi based startup which has received multiple rounds of funding, is a leader in training and providing jobs. You can choose number of hours and your domain of expertise, remuneration is according to that.
If you are from Commerce, Arts, Humanities student, worry not, try some of the virtual assisstance jobs or if you have entrepreneurial streak, go for your business. Women can do anything, they just have to work consistently to succeed.
You may be interested in “some tips on Modern family and work-life balance” .